In this new article we will explain two very important concepts about web positioning in search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.. These concepts are SEO and SEM.
Currently, SEO has emerged as an important activity to be performed by every company or individual who wants to promote / advertise a website correctly.
When projects are developed, designing a good strategy for SEO and SEM for the website is of great importance to get more visitors to our sites in order that we want.
What is SEO?
The initials stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the process by which we improve the volume or quality of traffic to our website from the search engines naturally, without paying for it.
Examples of SEO: HTML code optimization, structured content, directory submission, …
What is SEM?
The initials stands for Search Engine Marketing. The SEM is a marketing technique that seeks to promote websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages.
Examples of SEM: Google Adwords and Adsense
Another important concept is known as SEF (Search Engine Friendly). A website is SEF when the design (content and architecture) have been optimized in the face of its positioning in search engines. But design is not only important but also the way in which the site is connected to the Web.
Content = Our project site must have quality content as it is the most important factor to be looked up by search engines when deciding the ranking of your site in each search terms. Always remember that Content is King!
Architecture = Very important that our project is properly structured for search engines and there are many techniques for the correct structure. (I actually had included some guidelines, see Important Guidelines for Content Pages and Guidelines when Constructing Category and Subcategory Pages )
Using SEO and SEM along with being SEF enables us achieve our main goal when developing the project, get more visits and position of best possible way on our competitors.
SEO Techniques for Good Web Positioning
1) Add your website in major search engines. For example in Google you can do here:
2) Add your site to directories such as Dmoz and Yahoo. There are many directories to register for free. These directories allow you to increase your ranking in search engines.
3) Have the code of your site clean and tidy. You can validate your code via this link: http://validator.w3.org/
This link opens a website and where it says “Address” you must put your site and will indicate the error code structure that your website may have.
4) Improve the inter-connectivity through links from other sites. This may seem hard but is truly not impossible. One suggestion I can give to acquire links aside from personally engaging with webmasters is to produce quality and unique content. As earlier said, content is king and producing quality content will inevitably let links come ALONE!
5) Promote your site in forums related to the topic of your website. Today social networks have taken a very large boom, it is important to consider the promotion of your website on social networks.
6) Create content with phrases that web users can search the search engines to access your site. This aspect is important to note (in HTML with H1 or H2) those relevant keywords in your content.
7) Structure your content correctly in HTML.
- TITLE: put a proper title to the web with keywords
- KEYWORDS: define all the right combinations of keywords that you want to define
SEM techniques for Good Web Positioning
- Google Adwords (https://adwords.google.com) is an SEM to promote our website in the Google search engine. This system of payment and is paid based on a cost per word and click on the link made. The advertising shown as “sponsored link” on the right of the Google search.
- Google Adsense (https://adsense.google.com/) is an SEM to promote a website through Google’s advertisements. This system complements Adwords. Our website is shown to other sites by means of being an advertisement and when someone clicks on that ad of ours, we are charged and pay for the click made. Conversely, placing Adsense ads in our website will allow us to earn an extra penny ( many bloggers are actually getting rich in Adsense).